ROMULUS, MI -- Little more than a year after opening its doors, APS Compounding in Romulus, MI, has reached its first milestone. The firm announces that production during this short period has reached the 500,000 pound mark. APS Compounding formulates standard grades of soft thermoplastic elastomers or tweaks formulations to meet the unique needs of processors for standard or proprietary injection molding or extrusion applications.
Company officials report they actually exceeded their initial goals, a testament, they say, to the growing needs by TPE designers and processors for a technical resource that can quickly compound either small to large quantities with particular emphasis unique, one-of-a-kind or proprietary applications. The firm also attributes their mid-US location to their success, only a mile or so from Detroit’s major international airport.
In making this announcement, APS Compounding Principal Stephane Morin states, “We actually exceeded our goal to reach the half million pound mark the first year. We initially forecast half this volume the first year to year and a half. Although we correctly anticipated the needs in the TPE marketplace by entering this industry segment, we quickly learned the secrets that contribute to that growth and voids that exist within the industry, among them:
- Having skilled formulation specialists on staff
- Willingness to accept and resolve “nearly impossible” formulation challenges
- A positive attitude to work with startup TPE product design and molding companies
- Experience formulating major TPE types including TPUs, SEBS-based TPEs, TPVs, other
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and provide “press-side” tweaking
- Flexibility to accept both small and large orders
- Large warehousing facilities to store compounding ingredients, provide grades just-in-time
APS Compounding is an independent, fully equipped compounding resource that can recreate, design or tweak any TPE to meet the most demanding specification with new colors, additives or filters. APS Compounding serves all markets with compounded soft elastomers and molding/extrusion solutions.